Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2006

It's Just Cheese!

So, while working at the student dining center on campus I was asked to stack cheese for the next day. When stacking cheese for the dining center, one first places one piece of cheese so that it appears square in front of you and then places the second piece so that it is shaped like a diamond. You proceed to alternate every other piece of cheese. This is done for the students' benefit so that it will be easier to pick up each piece of cheese. In case you don't know, what shape appears when this pattern is followed? 2 square objects, one placed as a square and the next placed on top of it as a diamond? It forms the appearance of the Star of David. So while stacking this cheese I noticed this. My mind then proceeded to think about what this meant for the school. As an auditor it is my job to look for potential liabilities of a company and this one was staring me right in the face. Some student is going to see this cheese that is, no doubt, purposefully placed in the shape of the Star of David and this student will be offended. The student will then proceed to take the necessary steps to prove that this is a violation of the seperation of church and state since the school is now promoting a religion through its cheese! And thus, something that was done for the students benefit will be mis-interpreted and seen as offensive.

Why are people so sensitive when it comes to these types of situations? Why does my faith offend someone who does not believe in God? I am not offended by their lack of faith. I am saddened for those who do not believe, but I am not offended. I do not wish to push or force my faith onto others and I give them no reason to be offended. I simply want to share the good news! And thus, something I intend for their benefit is seen as offensive.

Answer: Because the Word of God is convicting! People know that they live in sin and they are selfishly seeking their own desires and will in life. When presented with the idea of God they quickly become defensive and "offended". Here the quote, "The truth hurts" is relevant I think. Those who are presented with the Truth and do not accept it as good news, but instead refuse it in order to continue living in sin, find this truth offensive. One cannot love sin and love God.

Conclusion: It is not my faith or the cheese that one finds offensive. It is the very gospel that we hold so dear that those, who do not believe, find offensive.


Note: I do not know if anyone has ever sued a university because their cheese looked like the star of David. However, with today's lawsuits it would not surprise me one bit. I have exaggerated by assuming someone would sue over some cheese, but I hope that it points out the rediculous-ness of some of the same type of situations that occur around the US. After all, we're not out to trick people or brainwash them into believing the same things we believe... It's just cheese!

No comments: