Pages

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Actions Vs. The Heart

Another story from the wonderful world of ISU Student Dining Services...

Again, I was working in the Dining Center and it was towards the end of my second shift. It's a fairly busy venue with two lines. Each line has mixed veggies, mashed patatoes, peas, gravy, meatloaf, some chicken stuff (looked like soupy type stuff) and biscuits. Around 1:00 or 1:15ish (a relatively popular time to eat lunch), I notice I am the only person working the venue. The full time staff (2 of them) have come to the end of their shifts and the full timer to replace them has yet to show up. The student who is assigned to help me was pulled to help with some other food. Twice a full time person from the office came through without offering help or calling someone else for help. Meanwhile I continue to cook, pan and replenish the food for the hungry students. While doing this I get upset (and rightly so I think/thought). Quickly a verse came to mind, though I don't remember it word for word I will quote it word for word...

"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." Philippians 2:14-15

This verse comes to mind a lot while working at student dining :) So I do not complain as the office manager comes through, I don't even ask for help. I feel great about myself... but in my head/heart I'm still upset and not joyful. Next, for the first time in this situation, another verse comes to mind. This is probably because I read it yesterday...

"A malicious man disguises himself with his lips, but in his heart he harbors deceit."
-Proverbs 26:24

There are probably better verses to reference for my point, but this one worked for me. God is not concerned with the show we put on for others. Dont be mistaken, He is concerned with our actions and they are important since we represent Christ. This makes it important to outwardly represent Christ well. However, God is also highly (and arguably more) concerned with our hearts. If I am kind and nice and humble to everyone I interact with and yet in my heart I harbor hate, pride, and anger God is very much displeased. And if my heart is not right, my actions will not hold up for very long.

So, while my actions, I think, have always been "good" while working at the dining center my heart has definitely not been! I'm glad that I read those verses yesterday and even more glad the Holy Spirit brought them to my mind while working today (conviction). The discipline of the Lord is good. We should welcome it!

"My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in." -Proverbs 3:11-12

1 comment:

Renee said...

This is an excellent example of studying the word diligently and the Holy Spirit illuminating it to you and applying it to your life (John 14:26)(2 Tim 2:15). As for our hearts it's with our hearts that we believe. It's out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The heart is our life and who we are. That's why God requires circumcision of the heart. The Jews had the outward sign of circucism, but their hearts were not circumcised. Romans 2:29 Romans 10:10 Luke 6:45 Hebrews 4:12-13 Matthew 15:8 and you can type in heart in a keyword search of the bible and read all day. Also like JC Ryle says about Is Thy Heart Right on my post. I like this post an honest showing of the word in the daily sanctification process. Daily taking up your cross and crucifying the flesh and its desires. Luke 9:23 Galatians 5:24-25 Just the fact that I have rambled off this many verses is proof of the bible being sufficient to guide us in how to live. Cling to the word. Joshua 1:8 Psalm 119:11 Psalm 37:31 Psalm 40:8 and on and on and on