Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A MUST READ: Birth - A Man's Perspective (Part 1)

So I've been slack obviously in getting this one posted given the fact that Zac is now 6.5 months old.  I think I remember well enough still to post a blog entry on this.  I'll go ahead and apologize because this could get lengthy... if it does maybe I can split it into multiple posts.

Stage 1: Planning to have a Child
This is arguably the best stage because it includes the 'getting pregnant' step.  However, it's tough to beat the birth stage where you see your child for the first time... I've always loved children, toddlers in particular.  Ever since I was 12 probably.  They speak in half sentences and made up words, it's just hilarious.  Who doesn't enjoy a fun-loving toddler?  I've also always looked forward to participating in the creation of another human being.  I mean, what else in life can you do that comes anywhere close to the magnitude of making a person?  Are you kidding me!  And to see characteristics of myself and Tiffany, not to mention extended family members, all shining through one person.  Wow!  All that to say, it was tough to wait this long to have a child; for me anyway.  With that said, we were level headed enough to know we needed some time as a couple before putting kids in the mix.  3 years was perfect!  I'm 26, Tiff is 25... also good ages I think to have a first child.  But more important I think is the time together as a married couple vs. your age. 

So Tiffany and I decided we were 'ready'.  Whatever that means, because you will certainly doubt that decision after it's been made :)  Tiffany was pretty certain, and by certain I mean about 200% certain that God was preparing her for a tough and long road to pregnancy.  Once we made the final decision, by that I obviously mean we pulled the goalie and stopped preventing pregnancy, it was 1.5 months before we got the little blue plus sign!  Tiffany took the pregnancy test on the morning of our 3 year anniversary... I couldn't have planned it any better myself.  Thanks for the anniversary gift God! 

Well that didn't take nearly as long as Tiffany was thinking... haha.  We checked the old pregnancy wheel, whatever it is called, and the due date was 4/15/2010.  Again, another little piece of humor putting Zac's due date right on Tax Day.  Needless to say, we were beyond excited (not about the due date, but about being pregnant).  We were in Florida at the time so Zac has a Florida shirt that I bought him because I wanted to be the first person to get him something.  However, all I could find was a 12 month size so be on the lookout in the next few months for this shirt to make an appearance :) 

This concluded stage 1: planning and launched us straight into stage 2: preparing for a child.

(I have way more to say about this than I originally thought, this will be several posts... stay tuned as this may have 2-3 more continuations)

No comments: