Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Making a Baby: Take 2 (Part 4)

The doula arrived at the hotel around 3- 3.15 am.  We let her know contractions had gotten down to 2.5 minutes apart and were still pretty strong.  The doula was able to help Tiffany with different positions and applying pressure to her back to help with pain as I coached her through each contraction and help her relax and work with the contractions.  

We talked with the doula and let her know how different, and inconsistent, this labor was than Zac’s.  We weren’t sure when exactly to head to the hospital, but felt it was almost that time.  I would have headed over at this moment if we hadn’t had the doula there with us.  She explained to us why she thought we should wait it out a little longer and wait for Tiffany to ‘make a turn’.  I knew in my mind, as did Tiffany, that the turn was going to be her entering transition.  We didn’t particularly want to move during transition, but we didn’t say anything.  

It was about 30 minutes later when we knew that turn had come.  Tiff’s pressure had increased significantly, she was uncomfortable even in between contractions, and she was now moaning pretty good with contractions.  We all knew it was time to move.  

I pulled the car around and packed up what we needed.  Tiff had a contraction on the way to the car, 2 in the car, 1 on the way into the hospital, 2 at the reception desk during check in.  She walked into the hospital and to the room.  I think the guard was a little worried, he wanted me to put her in a wheel chair, but she said no, and he gave me a funny look when I came back in with her walking.  The front desk check in went much faster than last time around.  I think that is because the guy at the front desk saw two of Tiffany’s contractions.  The mid-wife met us at the front desk.  I called her on the way to the hospital and luckily, even though she had no other patients there, she had come to the hospital after my first call.  Good thing too!  After we checked in, the doula, Tiffany and the mid-wife went to the room while I moved the car to a proper parking space.  I knew enough to run...

When I got back to the room it was game time.  Clothes were gone and I could tell that with the first contraction I saw - Tiffany was uncontrollably pushing.  (I later found out that Tiff had a contraction on the way to the room that she pushed with and when the mid-wife saw that she got the nurses and everyone in motion and ready to catch a baby).  We checked in at the front desk around 3.50 or 4.00 am.  (Eli came at 4.39am).  

It was about 4-5 more contractions after I got to the room and Eli made his appearance.  Tiff was standing/squatting and leaning into my arms when Eli was born.  The mid-wife was on the floor and caught him.  She handed him to Tiff and we posed for a picture.  Tiff then moved to the bed and held Eli and let him nurse.  After about 5-10 minutes the mid-wife got everything ready and let me cut the chord.  We then rested and relaxed with him while the mid-wife stitched up Tiffany and finished up.  

The nurses then proceeded to gather all the admittance information they didn’t have time to collect before.  

Oh- Also during Tiff’s pushing a nurse was trying to get Eli’s heart beat with the doppler... I’m not sure why.  It was pretty evident he was coming within 5 minutes.  Ummm... hello, you can put that thing directly on him in about 2 minutes, why are trying to make Tiffany move around so you can check his heart rate?  Even if something is wrong - He’s crowning!  You’re not exactly going to do anything about it at this point.  

Eli came at 4:39 am on February 9th.  Weighing in at barely 5lbs 12.8 ounces and only 18 inches long.  The first thing we noticed - he’s much whiter than Zac, and smaller.  But his features are very similar.  He breathes/snores the exact same when sleeping.



Me and Eli, approx. 2 hrs old (Around 6.30 am 2/9/2012)

No comments: