Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Children Playing with Fire

Luke 9:
52And he sent messengers ahead of him, who went and entered a village of the Samaritans, to make preparations for him. 53But the people did not receive him, because his face was set toward Jerusalem. 54And when his disciples James and John saw it, they said, "Lord, do you want us to tell fire to come down from heaven and consume them?” 55But he turned and rebuked them. 56And they went on to another village.

There is more than one thing, as usual, you can pull from this scripture.  There is hope for me even though I have been following Christ for some time and still mess it up a lot.  This verse is in Luke after the disciples have been in Christ’s presence for some time, having seen many miracles and yet they still don’t understand Him.  I mean, c’mon, when did Jesus ever do something like that?  He time and time again had compassion on the people in His midst.  And yet His disciples are full of judgement and wrath.

I picture a child with a new toy when I read this verse.  May be a 10 year old boy got a rocket for Christmas.  Daddy, can I hit the button, can I, can I, can I... watch it fly into the sky, please, now, now, please let me.  The disciples have seen Jesus perform miracles.  They have seen His power.  They have also already been sent out to preach, heal, cast out demons and so they know they have been given extraordinary power as well.  This verse is pretty soon after they were sent out and exercised this power on their own for the first time.  They are like kids with a new toy.  In a way it’s almost funny.

But what a lack of love.  No grace, no mercy, no love.  “Jesus they rejected you, let’s exterminate them from the face of the earth.”  How can you have a reaction like that after hanging out with Christ for so long?  We (I) do it all the time.  There will be a time of judgement when the Father does pour out wrath on those who live in rebellion against Him.  But Christ came to seek and to save the lost.  We preach a gospel of hope and mercy, not one of fear and forced submission.  

I wonder what that rebuke was like... “How about I tell fire to come down and consume you!?... I will be crucified in a couple of weeks and you will reject me as well.  Do you want me to obliterate you?  How about I pick one moment in your life, as you reject me and put aside my mercy and my patience and judge you?  Do you not understand me at all yet?”  (He actually does ask them that question many times in the gospels).

It makes no sense that when we remember the grace that Christ has poured out to us, and is still pouring out, that we do not in turn pour it out onto others... then we would see God using us to draw people to Himself.

No comments: