Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Am I Arrogant, or Just Always Right?

So I've had this discussion with Tiffany a few times and some of our friends have been included in it once or twice.  Apparently (though I disagree, and I feel as though I'm right :) ), I come across as if I think I am always right.  Now, I know for a fact that I am NOT.  However, after digging deeper through the discussion I have found the reason why I, as well as many of you, come across this way.

In general terms, just about everyone will admit that they know they are not always right.  Any rational person will admit this.  No one can be right about everything.  It's simply impossible.  I admit that I am not always right.

In specific terms is where our problem lies.  Take a specific issue, then another and another and another and after a while people get the impression you think you're always right about EVERYTHING!  But that still isn't the case.  You still hold your opinion that you know you're wrong about some things... you just don't know which ones.

So, on any specific issue I THINK I am right, I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I am right.  Because I'm arrogant?  No, because I'm logical.  If I knew or even thought I was wrong on that particular issue, I would change my position to the correct one.  After all, who intentionally holds a position they know or think is wrong? Now that's ridiculous.  I can give examples of times I have been wrong, but I cannot give examples of areas where I am currently wrong - b/c if I knew I were wrong it would be illogical to maintain my position and therefore I would change it to the right position (or the one I think is right).

When discussions arise, I do not verbally state with each thought that I know I could be wrong.  May be I should.  Then the appearance of arrogance would be at least diminished if not destroyed... So...

I could be wrong about everything in this note.........................................  But I 'm not...  :)

No comments: